Wednesday 6 February 2013

Brian O'Driscoll not worrying about retirement talk ahead of Ireland's clash with England

Brian O'Driscoll says his physical condition will decide whether this will be his final Six Nations campaign.
The Ireland and Leinster great's contract expires in the summer and his future has been a source of ongoing speculation.
O'Driscoll put in a man-of-the-match performance during Ireland's win over Wales last weekend, setting up one try, scoring another and displaying trademark steel in defence.
And the 34-year-old says his sole focus is on Sunday's mouth-watering clash with England in Dublin.
"I haven't been wondering if Sunday will be the last time I'll play England in the Aviva Stadium, far from it," he said.

"Winning man of the match against Wales doesn't have a bearing. It's a nice reminder that it's still there.
"But with regards to the decision-making process, because I'm not thinking about it, it hasn't altered my thinking.
"Maybe when the time comes I'll look back in previous performances, but a huge amount of it is about listening to your body.

Recover

"Games like last weekend take a long time to recover from when you're a little bit older.
"It's the cumulative effect as well. If you're lucky enough to play five Six Nations games in seven weeks that has a huge knock-on effect. I'm at game two, feeling okay and looking forward to England."
After missing the autumn internationals due to ankle surgery, Jamie Heaslip given the Ireland captaincy and he was retained by Declan Kidney for the Six Nations.
The move polarised opinion with some claiming it would enable O'Driscoll to concentrate on himself in a Lions year, but the Leinster centre disagrees.
"I've read a little bit of stuff over the last while that taking the burden of captaincy away from me has allowed me to think about my game," he said.
"I'd like think that in the 10 years I was captain I played a few all right games as well. It hasn't changed the way I go about my business or the way I carry on around camp."
England visit Dublin in a potential Six Nations decider and O'Driscoll, who has won his last seven games against the Red Rose, is relishing the prospect.
"They're great games against England. The country's non-rugby fans probably pay more attention to England matches because of the history between the countries," he said.
"They're great occasions, largely because invariably England are one of the best sides in the world.
"You have to bring your 'A' game. It's England in Dublin and that's an exciting prospect no matter how many times you've had it."
http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12506/8476115/Brian-O-Driscoll-not-worrying-about-retirement-talk-ahead-of-Ireland-s-clash-with-England

No comments:

Post a Comment